@gcigale Tweets

Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Life Beyond Tutor.com

OK, I'm back. It's been a while since I've blogged or tweeted, but I think I deserved the break. Let's cut to the chase, as I tend to do in all aspects of life:

I spent over 10 years building Tutor.com, from an idea to raising over $30 million in venture and strategic funding, to serving over 10 millions students with immediate online tutoring, and finally to selling the company in January 2013 to Barry Diller's IAC/InteractiveCorp (NASD: IACI).  While I still hold the "Founder and Chairman" title at Tutor.com, my operating responsibilities wrapped up a couple months ago.

So after a much less stressful summer, it's naturally time to ask, "what's next"?  For friends and colleagues who have been asking, and for anyone else stumbling upon this blog, I am going to try to lay out some cards on the table as I think through the what's next question, in more blog posts to come.

I just joined an advisory board of an early stage education company (Grasp Learning), considering joining another for-profit ed tech company Board of Directors (to be named soon if we agree to move forward), and going to my first Board of Trustees meeting next week as a newly appointed Trustee of Columbia University Teachers College.

My natural process at this point of thinking/researching/deciding is to talk to as many smart people as I can, to go through old notes and ideas I did not have time to explore, and to think crazy and divergently for a while.  For as long as the good ideas keep coming, before starting to narrow down the ideas and start crossing stuff off the list.

So, that's where I am now.  Might take a few weeks or a few months to get from this stage to the narrowing down and getting serious about planning stage.  In the meantime, I'm open to new conversations about your growing venture and possibly working with you to help you avoid the many mistakes I made as an entrepreneur.  Maybe I'll see you next week -- speaking on a panel of "Ed Tech Titans" at this NYEd Tech Event on Tuesday night.

George Cigale
CEO, Abenaki Ventures
gcigale@gmail.com

1 comment:

John said...

Good luck with the process George. I hope to see you next week!